What is the role of housekeeping in a setting such as an upscale hotel? In the hospitality industry, housekeepers are often overlooked or underrated, seen as mere janitorial staff. Hotel housekeeping workers are much more than their job, however – as the staff who have the most direct impact on hotel guest comfort and satisfaction, they are truly on the front lines of presentation and perception.
The function of housekeeping should be to keep rooms clean, sanitary and welcoming, but also to put the hotel’s best face forward at all times, in every interaction. Good housekeeping practices will involve not just attention to detail when it comes to room cleanliness, but also friendly, helpful attitudes and a professional appearance.
Hotel guest experiences with housekeeping staff
If all goes well during a guest visit, the hotel housekeeper assigned to their room will provide a memorable experience by virtue of an impeccably clean environment and prompt response to any and all requests made of the housekeeping department. These can include:
- Requests for extra linens or towels (these can often be anticipated and supplies be left standing by)
- Alerts that something is amiss (an accident or spill in the room necessitating cleanup)
- Communications regarding linen change preferences, turndown service and more
Housekeeping duties start with inspection of a room after checkout, cleaning it according to hotel standards and refreshing the room’s supplies. Once a new guest has arrived, prompt, cheerful and professional attention to their needs can reinforce how the hotel looks after guests and leave a good impression.
Professionalism is key for guest satisfaction
Hotel guests expect a certain level of professionalism form all staff members, including housekeepers. Enhance the professional appearance of your housekeeping staff by making sure they are provided with the following:
- Comprehensive training in their housekeeping duties, with special attention paid to request handling, conflict or complaint resolution and guest and staff safety
- Appropriate guidance on personal hygiene and appearance, including non-gender specific requirements for jewellery and other accessories
- Properly fitted uniforms, preferably with names embroidered clearly along with the hospital branding (otherwise with clear, legible branded name tags)
- Secure coded room key cards that are easy to access and hard to lift, along with specific training surrounding guest-room security
- Professional hospitality cleaning equipment that is easy to keep clean, efficient, manoeuvrable and allows workers to do their tasks effectively on a tight time frame
Hospitality cleaning solutions
Of the above mentioned professional items, the equipment provided to housekeeping staff should be designed for hospitality, rather than being repurposed janitorial equipment. Hospitality requires a industry-specific cart design, to allow for the intimate discretion that comes with cleaning spaces that are being lived in.
While traditional classic housekeeping carts are the best, most effective choice for cleaning vacated guest rooms, a higher level of professionalism and personalised care can be presented with the use of the Executive Quick Cart, which can be taken into a room and used for a fast turnover per guest request.
A spill or other mishap may require immediate attention. Instead of showing up with a bucket and a stake of janitorial towels, disposable microfibre cloths can be used to make quick work of the mess and leave the room feeling and looking spotless again. The hygienic impression will leave guests feeling well-cared for.
If guests are in and out of a room, mopping or hauling out the vacuum may not be an option. A brushless mechanical sweeper lets housekeeping staff quickly work over carpet and smooth flooring, to remove crumbs and debris swiftly without disrupting room occupants or leaving wet floors behind.
By presenting a professional appearance and experience, housekeepers can be a hotel’s secret front line, delivering exceptional guest experiences and enhancing the hotel’s reputation.To learn more about how Rubbermaid can enhance hospitality with high-end cleaning solutions, contact our team.